Thursday, August 26, 2010

The Stinking Rose




One of my friends at work - Sandy - suggested this restaurant and the concept instantly appealed to me (it doesn't take too much to get me excited about eating out anyway!).  Stinking Rose is located in the midst of SF’s Chinatown (also located in Beverley Hills), don’t expect a great ambiance but definitely expect a lot of garlic – it’s a garlicky restaurant! (fyi, Garlic is universally referred to – and rightfully so – as Stinking Rose).


The Bagna Calda (Garlic Soaking in Hot Tub) is an interesting preparation but I was disappointed that they didn’t have a vegetarian version!  It had anchovies so I had to skip that … uggghh!! The on-the-house bread comes with a garlic pesto, more like GARLIC pesto — yeah!! loved it!!! The Garlic Hummus Cocktail is a combination of a garlic hummus (quite average according to me) and garlic crostinis (DE-licious!). The Arugula Pesto was a good choice, loved the taste of the pasta, it had the right amounts of arugula and tomatoes.  Overall, a filling and satisfying meal but I expected at least a couple more creative/unique dishes on the menu. 




I saved one interesting thing on their dessert menu for later – the Gilroy’s Famous Garlic Ice Cream….we were stuffed beyond imagination after the appetizers and entree so something for the next visit!!!


The Stinking Rose, San Francisco
★★☆☆☆



No comments:

Post a Comment